Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Best Laid Plans Of Mice And Men.......

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, as the proverb says and it is so true.

Last night while packing and taking apart my bar stools for my dad, I damn near cut my finger off. I was removing the legs from the swivel bracket when the phone rang. I turned to look at the caller ID and see who was calling and BLAM!!! The legs of the stool turned quickly on me and caught my ring finger in between the 2 plates of the swivel. I moved quick enough to catch the legs and keep them from continuing to move but the damage was done. I really did a number on it, almost took my finger nail off and have a nice hunk of meat from under the nail now on top if it. Needless to say to is going to slow me down.

Today everything went to hell in a hand basket, and it is U-Haul's fault! I was to get my car serviced at 7:30 am this morning, but just after I left they called and rescheduled me for 4:00pm. Didn't think that was going to be a problem so I agreed. At 10:00am I was to go to Sturgeon Bay U-Haul and pick up my trailer, and with my car appointment moved back it would be much easier to make it there on time. When I get there at about quarter till, the U-Haqul manager has no idea what I am talking about, knows nothing about a trailer pick-up and doesn't even have a trailer, nor is she expecting a trailer till the 20th!!! So I call the Green Bay U-Haul office and they tell me they will look into it. 2 hrs later they call and say that someone will call me by 5:00pm and tell me where to get my trailer! WTFH!!!!!

It was already 1:00 pm by the time I made it back to Green Bay and I hadn't gotten a thing done. So I lit up the phone lines trying to get a full days worth of stuff done in half the time. I have been waiting for a call back from the carpet cleaning company Rainbow for 2 days, so I gave them a call. They also took it upon them selfs to cancel my appointment for today and reschedule me for Friday. Well shit, I am not going to be here Friday! So I called my apartment manager and explained the situation and asked what they wanted me to do as it is their policy that the carpet cleaning must be done BEFORE my final move-out inspection. They agreed to waive that for me, as long as I pay to have it done on Friday and leave a check for them. This is another kick in the pocketbook as they charge $150!! Ouch!

I was on my way to the post office to setup my PO Box when U-Haul called to tell me that my trailer was waiting for me at their location and that I needed to come and get it before 4:00. Well great, I am now getting the trailer but it is going to interfere with my car service as they are on opposite sides of town and it is now nearly 3:00pm, rush hour. Just great. So I turn around and head back tot he east side of town, get to the U-Haul center and they tell me they don't have my trailer, the West Side Green Bay U-Haul center does!!! OMG, I am going to kill people! So I demand that they call the other U-Haul center, have someone there physically go outside and check to make sure there is a trailer there for me. They say they do. So back to the west side of town I go. I get there and yes they do have my trailer.

After dicking around with U-Haul, it is now 10 minutes to 4:00pm, so I call the Mitsubishi dealership and tell I am running late, they say fine, just get here as soon as you can. I got to the dealership at almost 4:30 when they tell me they will not do the maintenance on my car, even after telling me 30 mins ago that as long I was there before 5:00pm it would be alright. On top of that, they can't get me a new appointment till Friday. Fuck them! I will take my business elsewhere.

Needless to say at this point I am royally pissed off. With all the BS with U-Haul, a very well planned and what should have been a productive day, has turned into shit. There is no way that I am going to be able to leave tomorrow as planned, so the I will have to re-work things to leave at the crack of a dawn on Thursday, and try and make up time.

I will have to call Stephanie tonight and let her know the change of plans. I spoke with her for a short while last night, and let me tell you, nothing says "Hit the road jack" like the words, "I started packing your shit". Well, I guess that is a pretty final statement, and tells me right where I stand. The world is a much bigger place from down here! Well what am I going to do? Just roll with the punches and try to soften the blows. Maybe I can get a job as a speed bump?.........

No comments: