Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Ohhh How The Leafs Do Change....

Well all kinds of things happened today, most of them good or for the better. As with most good things there is also a downside, but I will get to that in a moment.

Today was the start of a new month and return to truck driving school after a week and half off for semester break. My class moved from Phase 1 to Phase 2. With this change can a nice perk. New Trucks to drive!! Thank GOD!! My old truck, #9128, was a single axle Frieghtliner Century Class 9 speed with a low and a Detroit engine. Needless to say for those who are recently joining us, it was a real beast with a stubborn transmission and a 40lb clutch. My new truck, #9258, is a dual rear axle (also called a tandem axle) with a split 10 speed transmission and a Cummins engine (I think it is a Cummins engine, I will double check that tomorrow and get back to ya all). God I love this new truck! It drives like a dream, and shifts like melted butter (as long as I am not the one making the mistakes that is).

I also had a road test today, and am proud to report that I passed it!! So now I am able to drive 2 specific routes with any licensed CDL holder. I only had one thing happen that scared the crap out of me. I was stopped at a red light, and shifted into what I thought was 2nd gear. But it went in to gear so easy that I wasn't sure about it, something just didn't feel right. So, when the light changed, I kept light pressure on the brake and slowly let the clutch out just until it started to engage the gear. To my shock and horror, I was NOT in 2nd gear, but in REVERSE!!!!!! The instant that I felt the truck tug against the brake, BACKWARDS, I jammed the clutch in and mashed down on the brake. I don't even think my truck moved a full inch backwards before I quickly recovered, and put the truck in the correct gear and continued on, but it scared the hell out of me butt good!!! So I no longer start out in 2nd gear anymore, I start in 1st or 3rd, to make sure I don't accidentally put the transmission in reverse again.
Other than that it was a long, but very good day at school.

Coming home from school was another......suprise??? Getting home after a long day at school I came home to find that my roommate, MOVED OUT! This was a bit of a shocker. No note, no call, no nothing. Now this is a blessing and a curse, as I didn't exactly have room in my budget to pay the full $670 of rent. So by budget has gone to total shit, and I will have to do some fancy re-figuring to work this problem out. As of right now I back to a deficit of $650. (BTW did I mention that folks can make donations........ LOL) Ahh well, While I knew that this day would come, in August as I was informed by my roommate 2 weeks ago, the immature way it was handled does not sit very well with me. But, what can I do? I don't cry over spilled milk, or worry about what can't be changed. What is done is done, time to work through the problem and move on. At least my roommate left me a few slices of bread and my lunch meat, I think she left the mayo also, so I will be able to make myself lunch for tomorrow. Dinner is going to be interesting as she cleaned out nearly everything else, along with all the food in the freezer. My poor apartment is now trashed, she even took the vacuum (granted it was hers but it would have been polite to USE it before she left) so cleaning the mess she left behind is going to be a minor challenge. Damn she even took my broom and dust pan! Well at least she left 2 rolls of toilet paper!!!

And so the saga continues.........

No comments: