Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Some Days Are Not All Wine And Roses.........

Quick recap for yesterday:
Both Linda & "Little" Dave got their CDL's yesterday, which made for a wonderful donut feast this morning. Really have to hand it to them both on this little accomplishment as Linda had a little trouble getting her backing down & "Little" Dave for having his brush with a stop light on his first CDL attempt.
So Congratulations to both!!!!

In other CDL news, Cathy got her CDL today, Congratulations Cathy!!

Now that all that is done with, down to business.........
Today I got switched from my previous truck to truck #240. #240 is an old beater with a 9 speed transmission & a 900lb clutch (by far the hardest clutch yet). I was also given the task of pulling an empty tanker instead of a trailer today. The interesting thing about this tanker is it's only 45ft long so it required some adjustment in the way I make my turns because I don't have to take them as deep or wide as I do with the trailers. As far as the truck is concerned, what a pain in the ass! As I already mentioned, it has an absolutely brutal clutch which is totally killing my knee, it also has a screwed up steering wheel that is not adjustable (think of a school bus), and to top it all off, the seat only moves side to side & is tilted to the right. Other than that, it drives like a dream and shifts very smoothly for a 9 speed.

Today we also had student counselors from an area High School come in and we had to give up our trucks for about an hour so the counselors could go on a little joy ride around the truck stop with the instructors. They seemed to get a real kick out of it, although it did cost me some time in being able to get more runs in with my truck. Even with that said, I broke 800 miles today.

We also had a recruiter from MBM Distributing who handles food service deliveries for restaurants like Hardy's, Burger King & Red Lobster. Interesting sounding company, but definitely not my cup of tea. While they offer great home time, generally 2 days out & 1 day home, you're also required to hand unload the truck for inside delivery. Now I don't know about anyone else, but after driving for 10hrs a day, I really don't feel like unloading 20,000lbs of frozen products, so this company is definitely not on my list.
Other than that, just tried to get as many runs in as we could and that was about as exciting as the day needed to be.



This post brought to you verbatim from the ramblings of Maveric himself by the ever infamous "SnowKitten" Typist Extraordinaire & Spell Check Master.

No comments: