Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Back to School I Go........

Well today is the last day of "vacation" from school. It was a nice break but I will be happy to get back in to the swing of things. During this week and a half off I did get quite a bit accomplished. Got caught up on all the household items that I didn't take the time to do, and was able to get everything arranged and sorted out for my Veterans Retraining Grant. I got the official word that I have been awarded the grant. However, it does look as though I will only get half the full award but it is still $1500, and enough to hopefully keep me in the black on the financial front of things.

Yesterday was a bit of sad day for me, as I have lost a few friends in the service, both before Iraq and currently in Iraq. There is a video that someone else made that I really want to post on my blog, but I can't seem to find a host for it. So if I can find a host I will post it up for everyone. I am sure many people have seen it, but I think it is something that people should want to watch everyday. As soon as I can find a server to host it will be up on my site.

So tomorrow it is back to the old "grind", and I hope that doesn't translate literally to gears. LOL When I go back tomorrow my class and I will be considered Phase 2, which means that a new class should be starting soon to replace us as Phase 1. I am quite curious to see how much of what I have learned has stuck with me. I also hope that now that I have had this little break to relax and collect my thoughts that I will be able to concentrate and focus a little better than what I was able to during the last week before the break. Now that I have gotten ALL the financial issues resolved and no longer have that worry choking the life out of me, I have a feeling things will work a little better.

So we will just have to see what tomorrow holds in store............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got that grant. It must be a huge releif, though not as huge as getting the full grant.

I didn't realize you were stationed at Ft Campbell. I loved it there (Well, mostly the stables outside gate 10) My husband was also with the 501st Signal Bn, In fact, you may have been there at the same time. You said "before in Iraq" did you mean when we fought Iraq in Kuwait? If so,you probably were. He got out just before the 501st was deployed to Saudi for Desert Storm.

At least back then our friends came home after in less than a year and seemed relatively unscarred. It wasn't fun for them, obviously, but at least they were in an an allied country that hadn't been invaded. The guys who went to into Kuwait didn't have it as easy.

And now we watch in horror as men come home seemingly left right and center in metal coffins. Early in the current war, a guy from my husband's old company (Charlie) was killed when an IED hit his Humvee. I think that brought it home for me just how difficult this was was going to be. It wasn't going to be as efficient as the last one and even the guys fixing the radios were in danger.

I realize it was naive, but I'd had some happy little notion of the guys sitting in safe and comfy workshops like they do back home. It was a lovely little illusion.

It's really hard to imagine people you know, who you've seen at the movies are playing football at the fairgrounds and try to imagine those same, good, decent, friendly people aiming a weapon at someone or worse yet, being attacked and killed.

Even when we used to ride our horses out by the back 40 (not the wisest of moves considering all the hunters) we'd sometimes stumble across the guys out on training maneuvers. With their mobile PXs and their stashes of candy and Playboys, they seemed more like overgrown Boy Scouts than people practicing for real life or death situations.

None of them deserved to come home in a box.

Thanks for the poem.

Maveric said...

WOW, Your husband was in Charlie Company!! What was his name? What a small world!