Wednesday, June 29, 2005

He Will Be Pulling Double Trailers When he Comes.....

I had a pretty good day today, but I am really tired. I woke up this morning on the floor as apparently my air bed has a leak in it somewhere. I tried in vain to find it when I got home tonight, well I will just have to hope it will hold up till the end of the week when I have more time to deal with such things.

My morning was filled in classroom with an exercise in route planning and load planning. Pretty simple stuff really but there are many thing you have to take in to account prior to accepting a load. Do you have enough time on your log book to make the run in the required time, what is the load weight, what is your vehicles weight, etc., etc.

After which I was assigned the doubles trailers. This is basically 2- 28 foot long trailers hooked together. Hooking up Doubles seems like a real pain in the ass if you ask me, I am sure with practice it wouldn't be so bad. Pulling the doubles is a piece of cake compared to a 48 foot or 53 foot trailer. All your are really driving is the first trailer and the second one just follows like a dream. You do need to allow for about 2 feet of off-tracking on the second trailer, but you can make turns 3X shorter or tighter with the doubles than you can even a 48 foot trailer even though the doubles are longer! The added articulation point is the reason for this.

Tomorrow I am told that the scale house on HWY 41 will be open, so I plan to get a run that way and hopefully catch the scales. Sounds a bit strange, but I want to go through the experience first hand. So I hope I will get to do that tomorrow.

But for now, I am off to bed!

No comments: