Monday, June 20, 2005

From Pitch Black To Screeching Halt

Today I got an interesting surprise! I was taken off my 53ft trailer & given a loaded 48ft trailer instead.
This new trailer adds a whole new dimension to driving a truck and is nothing like running around with an empty trailer. I really couldn't tell much difference at first until I tried to go out on the highway. There is absolutely nothing more terrifying for a truck driver than merging in to traffic traveling at 70 mph when you're in 9th gear and only moving 40 mph; needless to say, it takes this truck a long time to get up to freeway speeds with a loaded trailer.
My next realization of just how different driving with a loaded trailer is came the first time I tried to take a short off-ramp and was barely able to stop my truck in time. I also found I had to adjust my shifting speed to compensate for the weight of the trailer. Normally I can shift at a leisurely pace, but with a loaded trailer I have to shift much faster as the rpm's fall a lot quicker.

Today, I also broke the 600 mile mark of "Behind the wheel driving" Yea me!! Only 400 miles to go to meet the school requirement of 1000 miles. We also have a new class starting Phase 1 this week so my class & I have been moved to Phase 3.

Next up, we have the joys of technology.........
Got up this morning to check on the transfer to Steph's computer & the monitor was having issues. Light is on, but no display & nothing happens regardless of mouseing or messing with the monitor buttons. Needless to say, Steph is not thrilled as it is her monitor. On the positive side of things, my new 600w Power Supply is shipped & should be here by Wednesday.

This post of truck school hijinks & technology blunders brought to you by the infamous "SnowKitten" via the word for word ramblings of Maveric and my incredible ability to type better than he does ;-)

No comments: