Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Moving At The Speed Of Light

Well the tempo of things at school has skyrocketed the last 2 days, hence why there was no post yesterday. I was just totally wore out as I am tonight, but I can't leave you all hangin.

Yesterday, I couldn't shift for crap for some reason. I was grinding almost every gear with no real rhyme or reason. Once i finally worked that out of my system, it was road test time again. Everything went awesome except 1 damn left hand turn. I totally miss-read the turn and my setup was way off the mark. I pulled about 2 feet forward too far and had to backup to make the turn. I was PISSED!!! Ohh well, I requested an instructor to help me on Wensday with making left hand turns. Hopefully with a bit of practice I will get it down pat.

3 of my classmates were also told they are going to be taking there CDL test tomorrow (Wensday), they also told me that I would be up for my CDL test "soon"!

Well today is Wensday, my Co-Driver Dick my old Co-Driver Mike and Dave are all scheduled to take there CDL tests today. Man were they nervous, as I am sure I will be. Well, none of them passed! Mike and Dave made a goof on the Air Brake Test, and will have to do that portion again tomorrow morning to get their CDL's. Shouldn't be any big deal, they both make simple mistakes. They will both get their CDL's tomorrow. Dick, my Co-Driver failed the road test and his backing test. He touched a cone in his straight line backing, and failed to do proper traffic checks while on his road test. He now has to wait 1 week, and pay another $85 to retest to get his CDL. He was pretty upset with himself after that, so tomorrow he will be working on those points.

I got another road test today and asked my instructor to take me on a route that has LOTS of left hand turns so I learn how to judge them properly. I made every left hand turn with no problem. So he took me on some other types of turns. REALLY HARD ONES!!! Button-Hook right hand turns, turns where cross traffic has no stop, heavy downtown traffic and turns. I did all these very well. I did mess up one right hand turn, that didn't look like I had to use a button-hook to make, but it turned out I was about 4 inches off the mark. I had to do a controlled drive over a curb to make the turn.

Well after that grueling drive and how well I did on it, my instructor informed me that if I was taking my road test for my CDL I would have passed, and therefor, I am going to be put on the "test" list. Well, I am not sure I am quite ready yet, but if I get called to test, I will test. I felt REALLY good and confident after my road-test today.

Wow, things are getting tense and the pressure to perform is really there right now, but at least now when I run into a problem like my shifting going to crap, I know what I have to do to straighten it out and get it back on track. Tomorrow will be an interesting day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know, I look forward to this every day. I'm a want to be trucker, so I find it very interesting.

Good luck, and take care.

Kevin

Maveric said...

Thank you Kevin!! If you ever have any questions on anything just shoot me a email or post it here in any of the comment sections. If I don't know the answer I will find it for ya. Glad to have you here!