Monday, June 06, 2005

Nothing But A Matter Of Time

Today was the type of day that I tried to avoid, but sometimes you just have to do what you got to do. I left school at 10:00am today to get some things done that I just can't get done around my school hours. There were 2 things that I had to get done before 12:00 noon as both places the people I had to see would not be available after that time.

The first was the Big Apartment Manager, the head honcho. He requested a meeting to sign some additional paperwork and to have a "little" chat regarding my ex-roommate's abrupt departure. Needless to say they are not real happy with her, and are debating whether or not they are going to send her a bill for early termination of her half of the lease. The other big thing I think was to make sure that I wasn't going to pull a similar stunt now that I didn't have a roommate, and that I could cover the full amount of rent. Pretty reasonable concern on their part, as when I requested to add my roommate, they only did so on a "good faith" basis as she couldn't pass the credit check. Now at that time I was faced with 2 options, either get a roommate to cover half the rent, or break my lease. Thankfully the apartment management was willing to work with me and "bend" the rules a bit to make it all work out. I have to say that this "landlord" has been the best I have ever dealt with, and I would do anything to honor the lease agreement on that basis alone. So after a brief discussion on "where did I stand" without my roommate, and my assurances that I can handle the rent without her they seemed very relived. So got that done.

The next item that I had to get done, again before noon, was to pick up my grant check from the local VA office. Talk about timing, as I also had to pay the rent ASAP as I was already 1 day past the normal cutoff. This meant that I had to pay the $25 late fee. So I got my grant check and got that put into the bank, got a counter check to pay the rent (still don't have my bank issued checks yet) and dropped that off. Whew!

2 down and a million more to go...LOL. Yesterday, my ex-roommate called me and asked if she can come by the apartment to "talk", but about what she wouldn't say. To me this just screams, "I think I still have stuff there and want to get in to scope around and see if I can find something.". Well, she is going to be a bit disappointed as I have already gone through every square inch of the place and put EVERYTHING that is not mine into a box and have it waiting for her at the top of the stairs. Anything beyond that, she will have to request it and I will see if I can find it, but I will be damned if she is going to screw up all the cleaning I have done the past 5 days. I will throw her sorry ass right the hell out the door if she tries that crap. She can have ALL of her shit, I don't want a single item of it. About the only things she left that were hers was crap that she didn't want, but she is taking it anyway, empty boxes and all. She can throw it away if she don't want it but I know if I toss it, then she will be bitching about how I threw her stuff away. Not going to happen!!

One of my friends asked me today why I am even going to bother dealing with all this. Well it is simple really, no matter how ticked off I am over the way she moved out and all that crap, I just want her to pay HER half of the $600+ utility bill. Besides that it is illegal for me to withhold her property, at least till after 30 days, then I can toss anything else she has not claimed or requested. But as I said earlier, I don't want any of her crap. If I don't have anything of hers, she has no reason that she needs to come over here. I just want to close the door on this whole ordeal that was one of the biggest mistakes I have just about ever made.

So I lost about 5 hrs of school/driving time dealing with all this. But I have gotten allot done with the time, including tons of cleaning. Not really the way I want to spend my school time, but since I had to anyway, might as well get the most out of it. The good thing is that after today, all this crap with my ex-roommate will done within regards to her property, and all the paperwork with the apartment management. So I will have no future interruptions in training. *knocks on wood*

No comments: