Friday, April 01, 2005

Happy April Fools Day!

Well today is April Fools Day! I always get apprehensive on April Fools cause you just can never judge someone else idea of what is funny. But this is a great day for you if you have a bill collector call you! You can have lots of fun with these parasites, especially since they call 5 times a day.

I like the idea of April Fools, it should be a reminder that you have to keep a sense of humor about things.
So the lesson for today is: Don't take things so seriously!! But other than that,...... it is just another day on the calendar.

As you recall, yesterday was a bit of an anxiety attack for me on the financial front. And not much has really changed in that regard. I did find how the error in my budgeting occurred which is a good step, abet late, but a good step. Apparently I forgot to lock the formula data in my excel spreadsheet, and while entering and playing with numbers, I accidentally changed the formula. Talk about a Homer Simpson moment. But now that I have the sheet fixed and double checked to make sure that all the formulas are locked I have determined I am short by $1500. I could just scream!

But there is a possible light at the end of the tunnel. I called my State VA(Veteran Affairs) office this morning to see if there was any help, loans, grants, programs, anything that can help me get through this period while I goto school. Turns out there is 1 program that I MIGHT qualify for called a "Retraining Grant". If I qualify, and I am really playing in the gray area, I could receive up to $3,000 for living expenses while I "retrain" for a new job. So I am all over that! Hopefully I will get it and will be able to pull through till I get a paycheck from my new career.

I kinda wish I hadn't bought the plane ticket home with all this money trouble, but, nothing I can do about it now. They are non-refundable.

I am also trying to contact VA about my GI Bill application. It has been over a month now and I haven't received anything telling me that my application has been processed. Trying to get a live person is proving just as difficult. So we will just have to see how things go.

Stephanie (A.K.A. SnowKitten) and I chatted online for quite awhile last night. Apparently she got beat up pretty bad on her taxes this year. It sounds like she made just enough to push her over into the next tax bracket, but didn't make enough to see any real benefit. This year she is going to have to pay more per quarter to avoid that from happening again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

+sigh+ Sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor.

Hindsight being 20/20 perhaps a little extra to be able to cancel the tickets might have been a good idea?

Aside from that, hope all goes well on the GI bill etc.

Sorry if this double posts, we had a communication malfunction with the mouse.