Sunday, April 03, 2005

Getting Anxious

Well here it Sunday, a day to relax a little. I can't really get much done today as nobody is open and I have to wait till Monday for the paperwork from my apartment management company. But I am starting to feel anxious and excited at the week ahead.

Today I read an article on MSNBC that I feel is a potentially dangerous situation waiting to happen. Apparently down in a town called Narco, AZ a large group of protesters are acting like border patrol to keep illegal immigrants from crossing the border, and if spotted they will notify Border Patrol. Well, sounds good in theory till I read a little further and saw these to statements.

IMMIGRANT SPOTTERS

The volunteers will sit in groups along the gullies and flats of the cactus-strewn border around Naco, spotting migrants through binoculars and night vision goggles in what they say will be a peaceful protest.
But some are armed with pistols.
President Bush calls them vigilantes and the Mexican government has warned
it would file civil suits against any who lay a finger on Mexican nationals
during the month-long vigil.
The volunteers, some of whom sipped beer in bright spring
sunshine in pick-up trucks, are not popular with all residents in southern
Arizona, which has a large Latino population.

Full article here.

I can just see the mess that this can create, a bunch of brain dead drunks carrying guns thinking they are Jessie James. I posted this info on my trucking forums to warn my soon-to-be fellow truckers about this hazard.

Now I agree, that the Border Patrol could do a better job, but this vigilante crap is not the answer. I am just waiting for the next headline, "Immigrant Spotters shot by illegal immigrant traffickers." The next will be "Immigrant Spotters File Lawsuit Against Border Patrol for Lack of Protection". Well you get the idea.

No comments: