Sunday, April 24, 2005

It Is Always Darkest Before The Dawn

The title of this post is really so true. Over the past week I really didn't think that things could get much worse. I mean, things between Steph and I really had not gone very well in our talks, my parents car broke down in the middle of nowhereville, I missed my non-refundable/changeable flight, had to get a rental car that cost me $80, and I still had to buy a plane ticket. These events also screwed up my roommates plans to be able to pick me up from the airport, and she was not thrilled. Then once I got the my folks car fixed I got pulled over by CHP cause someone attempted to steal the registration sticker off the car. I got a fix-it ticket that my parents have to take car of. What a bloody mess.

However, things are not always as they appear, and I now find myself thankful for the aggravation of that fateful day. Something knew that it was not time for me to leave just yet. Call it what you like, "god", Fate, or just a Karma reward. The extra time home allowed Stephanie and I to have more time to talk and understand each other position, and feeling on various topics that we were able to work out. Thank goodness, cause for a while there it didn't look good for us. Not to say that "snap of the fingers" and life is grand, but at least we are going to try and salvage our 12 years together. Our biggest problem is communication, (funny isn't it, as I am a telecommunications engineer) so if we both work at that things should improve greatly. Now admittingly most of our problems are my fault, so it is really "I" that has allot of work to do, and changes to make. I just wish I would have seen things more clearly before things got this bad, but hindsight is 20/20.

I finally was able to find a flight out yesterday, $166 so I head back to WI on the 27th. Won't leave me much time to get things done before I start truck driving school on the 2nd of May, but that is the way things go, and I am not complaining considering how everything else has turned out for the better. I am still having problem with the "retaining grant". The head VA office in Madison rejected my Original DD-214 (military record statement) so I had to request on from the national archive, that might take up to a month so things are going to get really tight money wise but there is nothing I can really do about that. I just have to stay the course and try to make it all work out somehow.

3 comments:

Carnacki said...

Things always work out for the best though it may not seem like it at the time. It's one of the things I believe as a Christian and also from personal experience.

One book that I found helped my wife and me at communicating is Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages. Here's his web site http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/

Good luck with everything.

Maveric said...

Thanks for the link! I will check that out.

Anonymous said...

You may also be interested in a book called Private Lies: Infidelity and Betrayal of Intimacy by Frank Pittman.

And for Stephanie, When Your Lover Is a Liar: Healing the Wounds of Deception and Betrayal by Susan Forward, Donna Frazier.