Thursday, November 17, 2005

Keeping Track Of Time.

Time is a very precious thing to a truck driver, and something as simple as a error in math can be dangerous, costly, or even devastating. This is the situation I almost found myself in yesterday. While using the old calculator to determine how many hours I had left to run I screwed up. I thought I had 15.5 hours to run when in reality I only had 5.5!! That is pretty serious. Luckily, I have enough time on this run to get a 34 hour restart in and still make my delivery on time, but it could have been much worse.

A few days ago in Louisiana I had another big scare, I drove past a scale house that I thought the sign said was closed, when in reality it was open!! I got lucky again, and the DOT didn't come after me. But I was shitting bricks when I heard on the CB that the scales were open.

I can't seem to shake the bad weather, seems to follow me everywhere I go, so I will have to start watching my load assignments carefully to make sure I have extra time to allow for the weather.

No comments: